Sunday, November 7, 2010

HOBY is EVERYWHERE!

Hello All,

Not this past Thursday, but the Thursday before (October 28th) reminded me how strong HOBY is and how this organization will always be apart of my life. For those of you that do not know what HOBY is, I can't begin to describe it. I could write pages and pages about how much it has impacted and changed my life but that wouldn't even come close to doing it justice. It's something that needs to be experienced. And once you experience it, you never want to stop experiencing it. If you would like an actual description click here.

Since I'm still new to the Saint Bernard Project (SBP) I don't have any SBP shirts yet. So I've been wearing my old HOBY shirts. Sometimes my co-workers will ask me what HOBY is and I try my hardest to describe it to them, but as I mentioned earlier, I never feel like I do it justice. I always follow my descriptions with, why not come back with me to MD in May and find out for yourself. I'm hoping some take me up on that offer. HOBY can always use the support!

It was about 830 and some volunteers were showing up to the offices. I was walking across the street from the office to the warehouse when an elderly woman and her husband approached me. She said, "They still have HOBY?" I stopped dead in my tracks and didn't hesitate to walk over to her. For the life of me I can't remember her name, but she went on to tell me how her daughter was selected as an ambassador back in 1992. She went to a high school in Ohio but now she lives near DC because she has a job working for the government. She went on to tell me how her daughter was also selected as one of the Ohio representatives for the WLC. At that time the WLC was in Minnesota and she was surprised to hear that, since 1992, it's moved to DC and now LA and that it has gone international. She went on to say that HOBY has had a big impact in her daughters life and she's hoping her grandkids will be selected to go to HOBY when they reach high school.

The rest of the day, as stressful and busy as it got, I was on a high. Just knowing that no matter where I go in life HOBY will follow,  made me reflect on my entire HOBY experience so far. I started in 2005 as the inaugural ambassador for Sollers Point Tech not knowing what to expect. I didn't know anything about the program or anyone else that would be going. But after that weekend, I knew my life would never be the same. And here I am 5 years later, still involved in that organization, and using the ideals and values I learned at HOBY and applying them with my own volunteer work. 

I can honestly say, if it wasn't for HOBY and my OUTSTANDING and tremendously supportive HOBY family (with very very big HOBY Hugs and thank you's to Aaron, Matt, Carol, Alecia, Caitlin, Tracy, and TA 06!!!) I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now. I'm already looking forward to the 2011 Seminar and can't wait to share my experiences with everyone!


1 comment:

  1. And this is why we tell folks to wear their HOBY T-shirts. :)

    IT guy without his own computer -- that's kind of funny. Keep up the great work Nick. We're all looking forward to seeing you in May.

    ReplyDelete