Sunday, October 24, 2010

An Interesting Weekend.

Hello All,

So this past weekend (and yes I'm going to count Friday) was rather interesting. I was struck with a wide range of emotions and was unsure of how to process them. I spoke with some friends down here about it, but I figure why not talk about it on here with you all. Now, unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to take pictures this weekend but I promise to get better about it. Maybe I'll have a few posts that are just pictures or something.

Anyway, Friday, I had to do some work with a large group of 8th grade girls. Not my usual Friday, but I'm adaptable and up for anything. These girls were volunteering for service credit, but they were removing large weeds and small trees on a potential lot. Once this lot is cleared, we're able to go through with our people and take care of all surveying, permits, etc. They were only scheduled to be there from about 9-12 but had to leave early. Well, while I was waiting for my boss to pick me up, as well as the fifty some odd bags of trash and the tools, I walked around the neighborhood a bit. I was in the Lower 9th Ward.

As I walked down streets and over a few blocks I didn't feel like I was in a community. I felt like I was in a massive field. Grass was higher than corn stalks, and weeds and vines choked street signs and stop signs. I stood in silence and started to cry. I was looking at what used to be streets. I saw what used to be homes. I saw what used to be families. Communities. Neighbors. Life. All of this was gone. There were maybe 5 total homes in the span of a few blocks. The rest was wilderness. It was unreal. These types of things happen in third world countries and not America. I closed my eyes and opened them again. I rubbed my eyes and opened them. I wasn't dreaming. This was real. There is still so much work to be done here. Hundreds of families that need to come home. It's been five years. Five. Years.

I can't really say more without going on a rant about what happened with the hurricane and the aftermath and that's not what this blog is about. It's about me sharing my adventures from New Orleans. But I will say this: If you ever get the opportunity to volunteer down here do it. Through SBP or Habitat for Humanity, volunteer and give time down here. There is so much more work to be done.

On a lighter note, I didn't have to work Saturday so I slept in. Kinda bummed around and walked around the neighborhood. But Saturday was when it got interesting. SBP had a fundraiser at the Half Moon Bar and Grill on Saint Mary Street. The proceeds would benefit the SBP Mental Health and Wellness Center. What was the fundraiser? Ladies Arm Wrestling!! Yes! This is real and if you ever find yourself lucky enough to see an arm wrestling event in New Orleans DO IT! It's unreal. The spectacle and pageantry of it all is awesome. It's almost like Halloween. But for adults. And the women are arm wrestling. Still don't believe me? Their website is: http://wearenolaw.wordpress.com/

Check it out. It's interesting. SBP's very own "Phirey" Phoenix took 1st place and won an awesome trophy that my boss James built. I'm not sure how much money we raised, but the place was jam packed and we had a lot of people sign up to volunteer some time for the SBP which is always great. Overall a successful night.

I was feeling really hungry (and possibly drunk) after the even so me and my housemate Christian went to a burger place literally steps from the Half Moon.  It's called Down The Hatch and man oh man do they have awesome food and amazing french fries. I got the Texan Burger. Imagine a massive roll with a big burger, cheddar cheese (lots of it), bacon, caramelized onions, and (drum roll......) a fried egg. Oh yeah. Tasty. Greasy. Deadly. But it was incredibly delicious and I can't recommend that place enough. They have a large variety of burgers. Everything from veggie to classic to the colossal mess I had. And of course I didn't think to take a picture of it. Grrrrrr. I promise to work on that.

Hope you all had a great weekend and expect many many more pictures. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment